Maybe the environmental movement should re-consider wearing green this year and take its cue from Pink Shirt Day - an action with the motto that “we as a society will not tolerate bullying anywhere.” Currently though we are tolerating the Harper Government acting just like a bully – defined as “a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.”
The proof you ask! Well here are some links to stories of the Harper Government’s national and international bullying efforts!
International Climate/Environmental quarreling:
- -You want this, well then you need to do that - “Durban Talks Progress as Host Urge Canada Not to Bully”
- -We’re Out! – “ Canada Will Not Renew Kyoto Commitment”
- -Bullying is old hat 2009 Copenhagen – “Canada’s image lies in tatters. It is now to climate what Japan is to whaling”
Durban – another international meltdown!
Ok - 2011 experienced a major nuclear meltdown but the world is about to see another international mess –governments/politicians talking climate. The two just do not mesh because national governments, such as Canada, are looking to protect the national gross domestic product index and multinational investors. To add to it, very little press is passing the depth of this story along. Luckily, we do have some fresh eyes and voices in Durban with worthwhile stories to share.
- -“Youth in Durban wonder if negotiators are listening”
- -Kent Crashers –“ Americans and Canadians skeptical about Chinese climate offer”
- -Durban Week One WWF summary of Durban
- -“Canada Slammed at the Durban Climate Talks”
Ongoing Updates from Durban
Canadian Youth Climate Coalition youth delegates have amazing daily updates, podcasts, videos, etc…probably the best coverage out there click here to explore their site.
Click here to link to Climate Action Network – ongoing Durban news updates.